Privacy Notice for Patients
At Retford & Gainsborough Chiropractic Wellness Centre we take data protection very seriously. We endeavor to ensure your medical records; privacy and personal details are processed and secured safely, with full compliance to the General Data Protection Regulations Act (2018).
Why we retain your personal data and how we use it?
- As healthcare professionals we are required to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible care, maintain records about your health and the treatment you receive or have received in the past.
- When you request treatment at either of our clinic and we agree to provide care, this constitutes as a “contract”. You can refuse to provide us with this information but this would result in us being unable to provide treatment.
- We have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting your information in order for us to provide treatment safely and keep the best possible health records for the future.
When would we need to contact you?
- It is important to contact you to confirm or reschedule appointments and update you with any matters concerning your care. This constitutes as “Legitimate interest”, but this time it’s your legitimate interest.
- Upon consent we will occasionally send you general health information such a newsletters, this consent can be withdrawn at any time.
How long do we retain your information?
- We have a legal obligation with the “General Chiropractic Council” to retain your records for 8 years after your most recent appointment. If we retain your records longer than this period you can ask for them to be destroyed.
How do we retain your information?
- As paper copies stored in a secured filing system.
- On a computerised specialist medical software system with an encrypted back up and secured password protection.
Who has access to your information?
We will never share you data with anyone without your written consent. Only the following people will have access to your records,
- Medical records software provider who process your files and need to gain access to the system in case of repair or updates.
- Your practitioner will be required to access your records to ensure they are kept up to date and accurate.
- Our reception staff, to carry our any administration duties required i.e. rescheduling appointments, invoicing and patient reminders. All staff are required to sign and follow a strict confidentiality policy to ensure the information you provide us with is dealt with appropriately.
Occasionally we may require employee-contracted professionals to carry out tasks within the clinic. In this instance all professionals will be required to sign a declaration and to fully comply with privacy laws.
Access to data
You have the right to apply for access to your data at anytime, seek to amend any misleading or incorrect data or ask to delete data, which has been stored for over the statutory 8 years.
If at any time you have concern with regard to the use of your data, we kindly ask for you to contact our Data Controller.
Retford Chiropractic Wellness Centre
67 Grove Street